Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Charities Soliciting Donations Via the Phone

People must respond positively to charities that call and solicit donations over the phone or else they wouldn't do it, right? I received a call this morning at my business phone number from a charity looking for a donation from my company. The caller spoke clearly and did a nice job reading from her script; however, she wouldn't let me get a word in until she was completely done with her spiel :-)

Once she (finally) finished, I told her I didn't respond to phone solicitations but was happy to receive information about the charity via e-mail. No, she couldn't send me information via e-mail (!), but she could give me the web site address of the charity.

The charity seems aboveboard and was certified by the Independent Charities of America as being one of the "best". I understand that in these difficult economic times, charities need help more than ever. I'm a sucker for kids selling door-to-door or those that approach me at my local grocery store. However, I do have an issue with charities (or any for-profit or not-for-profit organization for that matter) who solicit people directly via the phone. Is it just me?

No comments: