Saturday, November 04, 2006

Why Competition is Good

In the area that I live in, there is one major company that offers residential trash service. A few years ago, there were two companies that offered trash service in my neighborhood. The larger company bought the smaller company, and, lo and behold, changes were forthcoming. The monthly cost of trash service went up, while customer service went down. The actual people who pick up the trash do a nice job and I'm very happy with them; it's the customer service folks and, more importantly, the inane, outdated procedures they follow that amazes me.

One of the wheels on the rolling garbage container they provide keeps falling off. It's a real pain to roll a full garbage can on one wheel. I called customer service yesterday and spoke to a rep about getting a new garbage can. Here's the gist of the conversation:

Rep: So, you need a new garbage can?

Me: Yes.

Rep: OK, they deliver new cans to your area on Thursdays. So, please put your can out for the next 2 or 3 Thursdays.

Me: But wait... my trash pickup days are Tuesday and Friday.

Rep: Yes, the folks that deliver new cans only deliver on Thursdays.

Me: OK, can you arrange for one to be delivered this Thursday?

Rep: No. It may 2 or 3 weeks.

Me: You can't tell me exactly which Thursday to put my can out?

Rep: No. I can't tell you when they'll be able to replace it.

Me (thinking to myself): OK, so I'll put my can out for the next three Thursdays. What happens when (not if) it's not replaced three weeks from now?

Me: OK, thanks.

OK, I understand that I may not be able to get a new garbage can tomorrow, but you can't tell me precisely when I should put my can out to get a new one? Come on... my only recourse is to to rant about it on this blog and call up one of their competitors to discuss new service. Monopolies stink.

No comments: